When you start a new copier search, one of the first questions you will encounter is whether you should buy or lease a copier. With numerous machine brands available and each offering something different, how do you know which is the best option? Let’s break down the general advantages and disadvantages of both buying and leasing an office machine.
Want to get the most out of your business machine purchase? Of course you do! That’s why we’re helping you understand the pros and cons of whether to buy or lease a copier. Consider these points before you dive into a purchase or sign a contract.Every business requires different options for purchasing a new copier or machine fleet. Discover whether your company should buy or lease a copier based on these professional recommendations. Click To Tweet
Buying a Copier
If you are purchasing large corporation copiers, educational institution printers, or law firm office machines, buying is a better option overall. You can pay the total amount up front without worrying about fees or interest accruement.
Pro tip: Purchasing a copier gives you a better opportunity to fulfill support needs in-house if your company already has an IT and maintenance department.
- Purchasing a copier is overall slightly less expensive than leasing.
- Your provider will offer ongoing copier technical support.
- You’ll pay in full up front, with no contracts.
- You can recoup your investment by selling it back when you switch machines.
- Your expense is considered tax deductible, but be aware of depreciation with time.
- Every time you want or need to update a copier, you will have to purchase a new one.
- Purchasing costs more up front.
- Maintenance costs may be higher if they aren’t included in your purchase.
- Your copier will depreciate over time and must be capitalized as an asset on taxes.
Leasing a Copier
If you own a small business or startup, copier leasing services is a smart decision. Although you will pay more over the lifetime of the printer (versus buying) there are fewer upfront costs and payments are broken into digestible amounts.
- You’ll have the latest, most up-to-date equipment.
- Leasing is reasonably budget-friendly, with little to no upfront costs.
- Maintenance costs are usually less expensive since most lease agreements include a maintenance package.
- You can choose between multiple financing options.
- You’ll have ongoing technical support.
- Long term and short term contracts are available for leasing copiers.
- Monthly payments are tax deductible, and you don’t have to worry about depreciation.
- Your ongoing monthly expenses add up.
- The end cost is slightly more expensive.
- You’re locked into a contract.
- You don’t own the machine, so you can’t sell it when you’re ready to switch.
Get Dependability With Sharp Copier Devices
You work hard to keep your business running, and your office devices should be able to keep up with ever-changing times. A Sharp Office Machine is the most reliable copier on the market with first-class technology options and endless customizable features. Partner with Platinum Copier Solutions for your Sharp device and see why you won’t ever go back to another copier brand again!
Want to leave us a comment or question about leasing and buying copiers? Join the conversation here.